Thursday, April 20, 2017

Recipe ReDux Post # 57 : Tips to Reduce Food Waste!



Being that Earth Day also happens to be Recipe Redux submission day for April, the theme for this month is "Ways to Reduce Food Waste" and we were encouraged to share tips on how we do this at home.  Below are some tips on how I do cut down on food waste in my household. And, check out  some other cool tips from the Recipe ReDux crew by clicking the link at the end of the post. Happy Earth Day!!

Orange and Lemon Peel:

Instead of discarding the peels, I grate them and use the zest  in quick bread, muffin and pancake recipes like my Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes!

Overripe Bananas:

These are NEVER tossed in my house, they are used in muffins, pancakes as well as frozen to use in smoothies and or just as a yummy snack straight out of the freezer. Some of my favorite recipes include with over ripe bananas include my Banana Pancakes, Morning Glory Muffins and PB Cookie Dough Smoothie in a Bowl.

Mushy or Tart Berries:

Berries that are getting too ripe or are not the most sweet are great to freeze or use fresh in smoothies, muffins, even salad dressing- like my Triple B Smoothie, Strawberry Banana Protein Muffin, Strawberry Yogurt Dressing,  and Strawberry Vinaigrette recipes.


Old Apples:

I love to use older apples for homemade applesauce, in my Apple Cinnamon Muffins and Apple Pancake recipes.


Wilted Kale:

Kale that is not fresh enough for salad, gets thrown in a pan and used in my Simple Sautéed Kale and Quinoa Kale White Bean with Bacon Saute recipes.

Aging tomatoes:

Any tomatoes that are too soft get used in soups and sauces, like my Tomato Tarragon Cream Sauce, Spaghetti Al Pomadoro and Triple Tomato Bisque.

Stale Bread:

Bread that is no longer fresh can be used for breadcrumbs or croutons, in recipes like my Eggplant Parmesan, Mushroom Meatloaf Turkey Burgers and Parmesan Croutons. recipe-redux-linky-logo

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP