Thursday, February 21, 2013

Recipe ReDux Post # 10 Maple Spaghetti Squash With Walnuts and Goat Cheese



Ok I have to admit I was initially pretty stumped about what to create for the Recipe ReDux challenge this month- “Oscars In The Kitchen”. When I read the “in honor of the Oscars, create a healthy recipe inspired by your favorite food scene or featured dish from any movie. (It doesn't have to be a movie up for an Oscar.)”... I thought “#@#!” what the world am I going to make?  Even though I love to cook, and food and nutrition is my profession, I actually realized that I never really pay much attention to food scenes in movies and could barely remember any. So I turned to trusty Google to jog my memory and luckily was immediately provided with a bunch of choices.  When I saw the Maple syrup on spaghetti scene from the move Elf  listed, an interesting and fun idea popped into my head. I decided to do a twist on this theme using pure maple syrup (which is one of my favorite sweeteners BTW) to flavor spaghetti squash. I love maple syrup on other squashes like butternut and acorn so I figured it might possibly work on spaghetti squash as well. It SURELY did!! Sautéing pre-cooked spaghetti squash in a little olive oil and maple syrup creates a heavenly flavor and adding walnuts and goat cheese just takes it over the top!! This dish is almost like a decadent treat or dessert but it actually is chocked full of antioxidants and healthy unsaturated fat too.  Try it!!! And don’t forget to check out all the other cool movie themed dishes created by the talented bloggers in the Recipe ReDux group! 
Ingredients:
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (see how to cook HERE)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 ounce crumbled goat cheese
salt (optional, to taste)
Directions:
Add the olive oil and maple syrup to a medium sized pan and warm on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Throw in the spaghetti squash and sautés, (stirring well to coat it with the olive oil/syrup) until almost warmed through, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle in the walnuts and mix well while continuing to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the squash is beginning to brown.  Salt to taste, transfer to a serving dish, add the goat cheese and serve.
Makes 3 cups, 6 servings
Serving size: ½ cup of recipe  Calories 110 Protein 2 g Carb 9 g Fiber 1 g Sugars 5 g Fat  8 g Saturated fat  1.5 g Sodium  30 mg
(note: analysis does not include salt if added)

5 comments:

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice February 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM  

OK, I've started reading the ReDux posts but I must say this was pretty darn clever! It really sounds delicious - too :) I need to start a movie list now - somehow I've never seen Elf.

Katie - Healthy & Happy Hour,  February 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM  

Now THIS was a super creative ReDux post. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown February 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM  

i felt the same way about movie food scenes..i tried spaghetti squash only last month and it was like revelation for me that stuff is reallly good and your version with maple syrup sounds fantasticcc

Melissa February 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM  

I cook spaghetti squash all the time, but admit I always do it savory - It never even crossed my mind to do a sweet version. I'll definitely be trying this!

Serena Ball February 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM  

OMG this sounds over the top deli!cious. 3 of my fave foods together....cheese maple and squash..how did I not think of this? So glad you did.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP