Sunday, September 20, 2015

Recipe Redux Post # 38: Pumpkin Power Muffin





“Fantastic Freezer Meals” is the Recipe ReDux challenge for September. We were encouraged to use our skills to develop a meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner that freezes well.  Mornings are an extremely busy time for me.  I have to cram in my workout, getting ready, making my daughter’s lunch (and mine) and get out the door by 7am to leave for work. And, I am a firm believer in eating breakfast since it is key to maintaining my energy level and starting my day off right. So one of my go to breakfasts is a protein muffin. I created this pumpkin flavor recently and I love to bake several batches and store extras in the freezer. I can simply take one out the night before, defrost it in the fridge and it is ready to go the next morning.  And this muffin has it all- whole grains, lots of protein, fiber, fruits and veggies and it tastes great.  I usually make the jumbo muffin size for a hearty AM meal that’s a very reasonable 300 calories. You can also make them in regular sized muffin tins as well. I simply pop one in the microwave for 30-40 seconds and spread a little Earth balance margarine or low sugar jam on them for a delicious breakfast. I hope you will try the recipe and also check out the rest of the “Fantastic Freezer” Favorites created by the great Recipe ReDux crew!
Ingredients:

2 cup rolled oats,
3/4 cup oat flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 Tablespoons protein powder *(preferably natural
unflavored, see notes on the one I use below)
3 medium sized over ripe bananas, mashed
6 tablespoons liquid egg white
6 packed tablespoons brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cooking spray

Directions:

Soak the oats over night for about 8-12 hours and then
drain. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour,
baking powder, baking soda, pie spice, cinnamon and protein powder in a small bowl.  In a large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla and egg whites. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in the oats until well combined. Spoon into 6 jumbo size muffin pan cups (or 12 regular sized) coated with cooking spray and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until top is firm, lightly browned and a toothpick comes out mostly
clean when inserted into the center.

* I have had great success with using Nature’s Best
Isopure Perfect Natural Protein Powder, unflavored- it is gluten-free, lactose free

Makes six jumbo muffins or twelve regular sized

Serving size 1 jumbo muffin Calories 290 Protein 13 g Carb 53 g Fiber 6 g Sugars 22 g Fat 3 g Saturated fat 0 g  Sodium 190 mg


Serving size 1 regular sized muffin Calories 145 Protein 6.5 g Carb 26 g Fiber 3 g Sugars 11 g Fat 1.5 g Saturated fat 0 g  Sodium 95 mg


5 comments:

Kelly September 21, 2015 at 5:29 AM  

These look so healthy and delicious for fall! YUM!

Unknown September 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM  

I was also in a pumpkin muffin mood for this month's theme!

Serena Ball September 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM  

Now thats one powerfully good breakfast!

Brittany September 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM  

These look SO good! I love pumpkin, so keeping these in the freezer for a grab and go snack or breakfast is perfect!

jillconyers September 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM  

I'm loving all the pumpkin recipes.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP