Friday, September 21, 2012

Three Ingredient Healthy Homemade BBQ “Ranch” Dressing - Recipe ReDux Post # 5


I have recently just discovered kefir and was excited to incorporate into a dressing recipe for this month’s Recipe ReDux challenge- using “Fermented Foods”.  For those of you unfamiliar with Kefir  it is a fermented milk drink, with a taste very similar to yogurt.  It is a great source of calcium, protein and probiotics and can also be low in fat if you choose the low fat varieties.  There are even lactose free brands out on the market (such as Green Valley which I used in this particular recipe) for those that are lactose intolerant. Because plain kefir is thinner than actual yogurt and has a nice tangy taste so I started thinking it would be a nice base for a dressing, especially a homemade mock ranch of sorts.  Bottled dressings tend to have so many ingredients and preservatives I am really trying to make more from scratch.  One afternoon I was short on time and hungry for a salad so I just poured some kefir and BBQ sauce in a bowl and threw in a dollup of mayo to thicken/emulsify and this recipe was born.  Let me tell you- I cannot believe how great the combo of these three ingredients tastes as a homemade dressing! And it is soooo low in calories, fat, sugar and sodium- it seemed too good to be true so I checked the nutrition facts calculations I ran through my database twice :)  So whip up some of this awesome dressing to top your next salad and check out some of these other great recipes by the talented bloggers from the Recipe ReDux Clan! 

 Ingredients:

½ cup plain low fat kefir (I used Green Valley Lactose-Free)

2 tablespoons light mayonnaise (I used Best Foods Light)

¼ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce ( I used Stubbs Original, this a great brand to use for those on a gluten-free diet)

 Directions:

Add all of the above to a small bowl, whisk together and serve, that’s it!! Chill in the fridge in an airtight container if not serving immediately.

Makes 14 tablespoons 7 servings

Serving Size 2 tablespoon Calories 25 Protein 0.5 g Carb 2.5 g Fiber 0 g Sugars 2 g Fat 1 g Saturated Fat 0 g Sodium 104 mg


1 comments:

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice September 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM  

I have some leftover kefir and will have to give this a try! Would be great for dunking celery and carrot sticks too.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP