Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Carrot Cake Pancakes- Recipe ReDux Post # 4



This month's Recipe ReDux Challenge was to recreate a healthier version of a memorable summer vacation meal- FUN! A few years ago, soon before my daughter’s first birthday, we took a summer trip to St. Louis to introduce her to my husband’s family and friends.  One of the meals we enjoyed there was a Saturday morning breakfast at a First Watch.  This is a chain of cute little breakfast and lunch spots and I think they are best known for their AM fare.  My husband ordered some Carrot Cake Pancakes which were delicious and I could not stop taking bites off his plate!  (Luckily he was very kind about that!!)  I have enjoyed creating pancake recipes  over the past few years and have really wanted to do a carrot cake version that was healthy- not loaded with sugar or fat and which truly highlights the taste of fresh carrots.  Well- I think (hope!) I have done that with this one.  I looked up the nutrition facts for the pancakes at First Watch and I can attest that mine have way less fat and calories, but they do taste good too!  Plus my daughter, who just turned three this week, gobbles them up :) P.S. Don't forget to check out the other recipes from the talented Recipe ReDux group down below too!
Ingredients:  
1 cup oat flour (if you are on a gluten free diet use a brand such as Bob’s Red Mill  or you can make your own to by grinding gluten free oats in food processor)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ cup egg whites
1 cup nonfat milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons grated carrot
2 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon coconut
Directions:
In a small bowl combine the baking powder, flour, brown sugar, coconut, nutmeg and cinnamon together.  To a larger bowl add the egg whites, vanilla and milk and whisk together. Then slowly whisk in the flour mixture until a smooth, thin batter is formed. Stir in the carrots and raisins and mix well. Allow to thicken for about 10-15 minutes for best results. (This batter is even better when stored overnight.) Add ¼ cup (for 1 pancake) to a non stick skillet, or one coated with cooking spray and heat on high heat for 1-2 minutes each side.  Repeat with ¼ cup mixture 5 more times for a total of 6 small-medium pancakes.
Makes 6 pancakes, 6 servings
Serving size: 1 pancake Calories 100 Protein 2g Carb 15 g Fiber 2 g Sugars  6 g Fat 2 g Saturated fat  0.5 g Sodium 55 mg


4 comments:

Kat @ Eating the Week August 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM  

I love carrot cake so much that we had it as our wedding cake, so I will definitely try your recipe to introduce some at breakfast, too!

Anonymous,  August 23, 2012 at 7:31 AM  

This looks delicious! I'm making these for my 1-year old son.
Thanks!
Jenna

Anonymous,  August 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM  

Great recipe. I usually use pumpkin in my pancakes, but the carrot sounds better around this time of year. I just got some carrots from my CSA, so maybe I'll give your recipe a try!

Asian catering Brisbane September 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM  

Wonderful explained recipe! That's what i like to see!

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP