Friday, January 20, 2012

Tomato Mushroom Soup




I had an amazing tomato mushroom soup this past summer when my husband and I were in St. Louis. We were visiting his college town, Columbia, but unfortunately it was pouring rain so he couldn’t show me many sights. We did duck in to Flat Branch Pub where I had the soup and I decided that I HAD to copy it at home, so here is my version.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
5 cups sliced button or cremini mushrooms
1 cup tomato sauce
4 cups low sodium V8 juice
one 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
black pepper to taste
chopped fresh basil (optional for garnish)

Directions:

Add ½ teaspoon of olive oil, the onions and garlic into a large pot and sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat until soft and lightly browned. Add the other ½ teaspoon of olive oil and the mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes. Throw in the tomato sauce, V8, canned tomatoes an oregano, bring to a boil and then simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Add black pepper to taste and garnish with fresh chopped basil if desired

Makes 9 cups, 9 servings

Serving size 1 cup Calories 60 Protein 3 g Carb 12 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 7 g Fat l0.5 g Saturated fat 0 g Sodium 290 mg

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP