Friday, January 13, 2012

Fabulous Foods Finds: Almond Milk




Alternative milks have become a big hit in the grocery market lately and my absolute FAV is almond milk. I specifically buy unsweetened almond milk to lose the sugar and extra calories. I have tried Blue Diamond’s Almond Breeze, which is good, but the one I like the best is Trader Joes variety, found in the fridge section. One cup contains only 40 calories, 3 grams of fat, 2 grams of carb, 1 gram of sugar, 180 mg of mg of sodium and is fortified to contain 30 % DV for calcium and 25 % DV of Vitamin D. Sure the calcium is not as bioavailable as cow’s milk and there is less protein, but for those who are lactose intolerant or don’t like dairy, these are certainly reasonable stats. Unfortunately it is not appropriate for those with nut allergies though and if you are thinking of trying to substitute this for cow’s milk in your young child’s diet this is a WHOLE other story and you want to consult your pediatrician before doing so. It’s gluten-free, works for me and I have great success in using in it in my recipes too, like my Almond Cranberry Rice, Single Serve Baked Oatmeal, and Strawberry Banana Snack Smoothie recipes!

1 comments:

Nick and Mariana Vona February 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM  

You gotta try the unsweetened Trader Joe's Soy Milk! I have tried most of all the dairy free options in the market and I happen to think it he one with best flavor and consistency!

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP