Friday, April 10, 2009

Low fat Whole Grain Banana Bread….that tastes good!



This banana bread has very little added fat and the goodness of whole grain, higher fiber wheat flour, yet it manages to come out very moist and sweet. Cut a piece fresh out of the oven or serve warmed by toasting.

Ingredients:

1 + 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour will do too)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
5 ounces light coconut milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 c egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters®)
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, measure flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well. In a larger bowl mix the sugar, egg substitute, coconut milk and banana. Gradually add the flour until it is mixed in completely and the batter is a smooth consistency. Pour into a loaf a sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 50-60 minute or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 1 loaf (12 servings)

Serving size: 1 slice (1/12th of loaf) Calories 114 Protein 2.4 g Carbs 25g Fiber 3 g Sugars 13 g Fat 1g saturated fat <1g sodium 7 mg

Variation: Peanut butter banana bread,
Replace the coconut milk with ½ cup crunchy peanut butter

Makes 1 loaf (12 servings)

Serving size: 1 slice (1/12th of loaf) Calories 161 Protein 4.5g Carbs 27g Fiber 3 g Sugars 14 g Fat 5 g saturated fat <1 g Sodium 111 mg

4 comments:

Kate, RD April 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM  

I tested out this recipe last night, but I didn't have any coconut milk. I used 1% milk and it still came out tasty, but I wonder if the coconut milk would have added sweetness? Any suggestions for coconut milk replacements for those who don't keep that on hand? Also, I linked to this post from my blog and added you to my blogroll - link over for a visit if you get a chance!

Marie April 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

Kate, Thanks for your comment and I checked out your blog, it great! I think the 1 percent milk is a nice substitution. I've seen applesauce used too, but not sure if that would be too sweet. Maybe trying 1/2 milk an 1/2 applesauce would work :)

Kate, RD April 26, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Thanks! I'll try that out the next go 'round! Best, ~K

Anonymous,  January 18, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Interesting article as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that theme. Thanks for giving this data.
Joan Stepsen
Technology gadget

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP