Saturday, August 20, 2016

Recipe ReDux Post # 49 Turkey and Veggie Taco Filling



One of my favorite places to escape Los Angeles for a weekend trip is San Diego.  Years ago when I was there for a conference we were treated to a wonderful meal downtown for dinner at a trendy Mexican place.  It was a warm evening so I decided to order a taco salad and I found it extra special since they used ground turkey and it contained one of my favorite veggies- mushrooms. I have been wanting to re-create it for a long time now and this month’s Recipe ReDux gave me just the chance! The August challenge is to make a vacation inspired recipe and this is the one I chose. I hope you will give it a try and sample some of the other tasty trip-tastic treats developed by the talented Recipe ReDux bloggers too.

Ingredients:

16 ounces lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped bell pepper (red, yellow or a mixture)
4 cups chopped mushrooms (I used portobello)
1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt to taste

Directions:

Coat a large sized pan with the olive oil, add the turkey meat and brown on medium heat, breaking up into small pieces, for about 7-10 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the onion, peppers, and mushrooms to the pan and sauté on medium high heat until softened and starting to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Put the turkey back into the pan with the veggies, add the canned tomatoes and spices and simmer on medium heat for 7-10 minutes until warmed through.

Make 8 generous cups, 8 servings


Serving size: 1 cup Calories 110 Protein 16 g Carb 10 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 4 g Fat 1.5 g Saturated fat 0 g Sodium 120 mg

1 comments:

Christine Siracusa August 22, 2016 at 7:53 AM  

Love the mushrooms! Must try this wrapped in lettuce for lunch.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP