Friday, December 21, 2012

Zucchini Spaghetti Primavera- Recipe ReDux Post # 8



I cannot believe that Christmas is almost here and I am knee deep in the holiday season already!  Luckily most of my shopping is done and I have picked out a lot of fun gifts too.  Speaking of gifts....this month's Recipe ReDux challenge is focused on that very subject- picking a favorite cooking "Gadget Gift"  and sharing a recipe that uses it.  Well my choice would have to be the julienne peeler, specifically the one made by Kuhn Rikon. I have previously featured this lovely tool in August in both my Summer Squash Noodle Tutorial and Zucchini Caprese Salad posts and today I will highlight it a bit more.  It is easy to use and clean and I find it works great to make thin shreds of veggies for salads or to use them cooked as faux noodles. It costs about $15.00 and I bought mine on Amazon.com.  Some features the manufacturer points out about it are that it "cuts food in one motion, has a stainless steel blade, has an easy to grip two-toned handle and it is dishwasher safe." A recent recipe that I have created using it is Zucchini Spaghetti Primavera- it's chocked full of veggies, low in calories and its red and green hues are perfect for the season.  Enjoy and happy holidays!!  Also check below to see some additional great Gadget Gifts and recipes that use them from the talented bloggers and members of the Recipe ReDux group.
Ingredients:
4 cups raw zucchini “noodles” SEE how to make these HERE
3 cups sliced mushrooms
½ cup chopped white onion
2 cups chopped sweet bell pepper (red, yellow recommended)
2 teaspoons olive oil
¼-½  teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup of your favorite basic marinara sauce (if you like it “saucier” you can add a bit more!)
chopped basil (optional for serving)
parmesan cheese (optional for serving)
Directions:
Coat a large pan with the olive oil, add the mushrooms, peppers and onion and sauté on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and softened.  Add the zucchini noodles, marinara sauce, garlic and mix well and then continue to heat for about 5-7 minutes covered, stirring occasionally, until softened and cooked through.  Top with basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
Makes a little over 4 cups, 4 servings
Serving size: A little over 1 cup (not including cheese)Calories  90 Protein 4 g Carb 13 g Fiber 4 g Sugars 7 g Fat 3 g Saturated fat 0 g Sodium  300 mg 

get the InLinkz code



4 comments:

Unknown December 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM  

Mandolin or a veggie slicer makes life so much easier but I dont know why I havent yet bought it. Thanks for the reminder that these tools come handy! love this recipe, esp with the addition zucchini instead of pasta!

SS December 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM  

Love those pictures! They're making me hungry. I love when healthy food looks better than unhealthy.

Mary December 22, 2012 at 4:31 AM  

I heard about this julienne peeler- it is my friend's essential gadget too. Beautiful results!

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice December 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM  

I'm going to get myself a late Christmas present and get me one of these julienne peelers ('cause I'm still scared of mandolines :)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP